TO THE SLUGA REBOOT CLASS OF 2018
Just a note to say a big thanks to you for attending my Reboot class at my gallery in Yackandandah last week.
I did my best to try and get some import information across to you and I hope it was and continues to be of benefit to you.
WHAT IS HERE
Below you will find some notes on some of the things I covered in class. You will also find some things that were not covered in class, but you might find them useful. Some of you will also have these notes from other workshops you have attended with me, but for those that haven't, here they are.
SOME THINGS ARE MISSING - WHY?
Many things I discussed in class I do not have notes for (I hope you took some notes). Many of the discussions that evolved and developed spontaneously from questions asked. This is why I am afraid I don't have notes for certain things that were covered.
WHY I HAVEN'T INCLUDED MORE EXCERCISES IN THESE NOTES
I originally thought I would include some of the exercises that I did not get to cover (or chose not to) in the workshop - however, after looking at them, they are generally too difficult to try and explain in a writing format alone.
I could try, but it would be pages and pages of notes and I am afraid I just do not have the time to do so. I also think you simply concentrate on what was covered in class as you have plenty to work with and develop further.
If you are interested in receiving my newsletter, you can sign up in using the form at the bottom of the page.
The name of the photo editing app that you can put on your phone or tablet that I mentioned in class - TOOLWIZ
Here is a link to the art shop I use in the UK to buy my large tubes of watercolour paint.
If you are signed up to my newsletter, you will hear about my other workshops as I decide on them. Next year I am offering a workshop in Tuscany as usual and of course my Croatian tour (which is a relaxing holiday with some painting thrown in). I do enjoy the Tuscany workshop, but the Croatian tour is more relaxed and casual. You can find out more about the Tuscany workshop here and more about the Croatian tour here.
* PLEASE NOTE: ALL NOTES ARE COPYRIGHT OF CHARLES SLUGA. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE. THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 18 AUGUST 2018.
A venetian to help you remember to squint and see the world in tonal form
An image that might remind you of the dimensions of colour
HOW TO CHANGE THE COLOUR DIMENSIONS
A summary of different ways to change the dimensions of colour
FLOW CHART OF PLANNING
My flow chart of the things I consider before I paint
MY PALETTE ORDER
Remember, this is my order. You can have any order you like, but keep it the same all the time
Here is the huge list of complimentary colours according to the handprint website. Ignore the brandsand colour codes. It is just to give you an idea of possible colours to try.
My on demand film
A link to the place where you can buy my video on demand film
A LITTLE SUMMARY
Here is a little quick summary to remind you of some of the key points covered in class
- Remember your journal is your free area to try lots of things and test ideas - this is where creativity happens, so don't hold back
- Take risks
- Ask WHY?
- Plan like a tortoise and paint like a hare
- Paint a known subject with a different viewpoint
- Paint the out of place things
- Try to use the "Reveal" method and use your title to hint at the subject
- Make shadows the subject
- Give yourself limitation or themes to find subject..e.g. blue, texture, lamps etc
- Paint a series to tell a story
- Be creative in your viewpoint, subject and/or approach
- Your painting is to be your story - not others
- You don't need to justify your work to anyone except yourself
- Use a mind map to generate ideas and possible subject matter
NOW GRAB THAT MOJO AND GET PAINTING! :)